Saturday, September 27, 2008

Egg allergy anyone?

As some of you know, Clayton has an egg allergy (ugh!) He loves pancakes (and I love to make them too), but all of the pancake mixes and recipes I've found have eggs in them. I adapted one of my recipes to make it egg free and it worked pretty well. The pancakes still held together reasonably well and still tasted good. I think it's pretty hard to find egg-free recipes that taste good out there, so I thought I'd share this one...

Farmhouse Pancakes (egg free version)
2 ripe bananas
1 cup flour
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup milk
2 tbsp melted butter
and in place of the egg - (1 tbsp water + 1 1/2 tbsp oil + 1 tsp baking powder)

In small bowl, mash bananas thoroughly and set aside.
In large bowl, mix flour, sugar, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp baking soda.
Beat milk, butter, 1 tbsp water, 1 1/2 tbsp oil, and 1 tsp baking powder into the bowl with the bananas. BLend well. Add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir just until flour is moistened. Do not overmix. Heat griddle/skillet. Cook 4-6 minutes (depending on how thick your batter is) and flip.
THese also save well in the fridge and can be microwaved the next morning. Enjoy!

No comments: