Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Recipe for Brussel Sprouts

Let me start this post by saying that vegetables are not my favorite foods. I have gotten much better over the years, but I still rarely even consider the "vegetarian item" on the menu and one of my least favorite party foods is the "raw veggie tray".  In my adulthood, I have discovered the wonderful marriage between vegetables and a roasting pan.  Roasted broccoli and sweet potatoes have become a huge favorite of mine. Well, I just recently added to my roast vegetable repertoire with one for roasted brussel sprouts with pancetta.  And before you turn up your nose, let me tell you that I don't like steamed or boiled brussel sprouts either. They always seemed like spawns of cabbage - another vegetable that I think smells like sweaty feet. But when you roast them with S&P, olive oil, garlic, and a little italian bacon - they morph into earthy-yumminess. I dare you to give it a try!



Yield: Makes 4 servings
Ingredients
1 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
2 oz pancetta, visible fat discarded and pancetta minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 - 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
salt & Pepper
Preheat oven to 425° - 450F. (The original recipe called for 450, but that just seemed a little too hot in my oven. )  Toss together Brussels sprouts, pancetta, garlic, oil, and salt and pepper to taste in an 11- by 7-inch baking pan and spread in 1 layer.  Roast in upper third of oven, stirring once halfway through roasting, until sprouts are brown on edges and tender, about 20 - 25 minutes total.  You have to be careful to cook them until browned a bit, but not too much where they really start to burn.   Serve warm.

No comments: