Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Learning to cook

We've started a new practice in our house where one of the kids gets to choose the dinner menu, shop for the ingredients, and then (with varying degrees of help) prep and cook the meal.

Austin chose to make tacos.  He wrote out his grocery list and then helped me shop.

 Clayton pitched in and helped grate the cheese.
 Austin browned the beef, warmed the black beans, and helped assemble the tacos.
 Caroline pitched in to make the guacamole. She can now make it independently without any help at all!

A week or so later, Caroline chose to make black bean and chicken enchiladas.




I really enjoy doing this with the kids and hope I can continue it. I think it will be a win-win. I'll get more help in the kitchen and they'll transition into adulthood already knowing how to cook!

No comments: