Monday, January 30, 2012

South

So, I have a mini obsession with the South. I named all my children "southern names". I like southern style (dresses and big bows on little girls). I like southern cooking.  I just read "The Help" and loved it.
I still have it on my list to try to cook collard greens, okra, gumbo, black eyed peas, real fried chicken (the real deal, not the healthier baked kind), biscuits and gravy, and all that kind of good southern fare.
I guess a popular casserole in the South is the tater tot casserole. (OK, laugh all you want food-snobs!)
So, I tried it. The verdict? I didn't mind it. I didn't love it, but I thought it was alright. Unfortunately, I was the only one. The kids didn't like "the sauce". So after trying to wipe the tater tots and the sausage clean, I decided this was the last time I would make it. Oh well. It was fun to try and I can now say I know what tater tot casserole is! Now if only Minnie could come to my house and teach me a few classic Mississippi dishes...

No comments: